Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Signs and Symptoms

I have received several emails today asking about what to look for if you think your child may have Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder. The best descriptions we have found to help us are here.  We are not doctors and we saw many professionals before Willow was diagnosed with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

 Personally, I believe Willow has partial Fetal Alcohol Syndrome or Fetal Alcohol Effects.  We will know more as time goes on and she matures. I can share with you the symptoms she has now:

  • Small eye openings
  • Somewhat smooth philtrum
  • Low Birth Weight
  • Small Head Circumference
  • Sensory Issues
  • ADHD
  • Difficulty learning from consequences
  • Immature behavior (lots of baby talk)
  • Emotional outbursts  (daily)
  • Poor impulse control
  • Poor judgement
  • "Hockey Stick" palmar crease
Lately she frequently asks things like, "If I jump off of that big tall building will it hurt?"
Me: "Yes, Willow, it will hurt. You could die."
Willow: "No, I don't think I would die. It might be fun."

I also have to say that Willow is the most compassionate child I have ever known.  If she knows someone needs something she loves to be the person there helping.  She loves her family.  She does great in school.  She has fabulous eye contact with everyone in our family.  She loves to be hugged and she gives wonderful hugs that always include a little pat on the back. She is loved and adored by her mama.  (Her very tired mama.)

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this blog & your honest thoughts. Although we have not ever met,I know how incredibly painful and difficult parenting children with these kinds of Dx can be. It was very brave of you to own that, I was too weak and too proud to share our similar journey a few years ago.
    God has remained incredibly faithful, through my fears, shame, rage, pride, bad decisions, and chaos. Reading your journey has been a blessing and a reminder to me of how God knew all about our children, before they were formed (love the Jeremiah 1:5 reminder:)and He is who IS able. Blessings on you & your precious family:)
    Bree AKA HappyZookeeper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words, Bree. Our faith and our love for Willow have brought us through these days.

    I don't think you were too weak to share your story. We all deal with what life hands us in different ways. I have always found that writing helps me but I failed to keep a diary of our days of rages because I was simply too tired from the day to day battles. I wish now that I had at least written something every day even if it was just "bad day" or "pretty good day". If you were dealing with something similar you weren't weak. You were TIRED! Mentally, physically. Just plain tired. Thank you again for your kind words. It means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for putting the time into creating this blog. I have a dd who exhibits many of these behaviors. FAS never has been on my radar, and yet, based on what I've learned, it is a real possibility. Thank you and God Bless you all.

    ReplyDelete